Monday, March 9, 2009

What I Know



Part of why I started this blog was to share my thoughts on being a stay at home dad and a visual artist and trying to mesh those two worlds. I've been trying to think of the best way to use photography to represent my routine and to show how my days with Loy are spent.

So I toyed with a few different photographic ideas but realized in the end that they just weren't me. And over the last few months I've made a few snapshots here and there, trying to get a sense of how this could be something fruitful. Well today I really put my full effort towards it: dragged my camera on tripod with shutter release cable throughout the house, and I'm not sure how many very good pictures I made, but for the first time in awhile I feel excited about a project I'm working on.

Over the last few months at home with Loy, stuck mainly inside because of the cold weather, I've felt stuck photographically: writer's block for the visual artist. But I started thinking back to something I was told in art school, 'photograph what you know, what's around you'. Whether that's your bedroom or your 11 month old, you will eventually breakthrough.

So here's a small selection of images from my day(s) with Loy...(Time permitting I'll try to post a small selection everyday- no promises).













All Images © John Saponara, Unless otherwise noted

No comments:

Post a Comment